The Watershed Institute (formerly The Stony Brook – Millstone Watershed Association) is seeking candidates to fill two Education Intern positions. The internship provides training and experience in a wide range of environmental education activities. The Education Interns work collaboratively with the education team, and report to the Education Director. The Watershed Center is LEED-Platinum Certified and includes exhibit halls, classrooms and a lab, and is surrounded by an outdoor classroom of 980-acres of fields, forests, pond and streams. Compensation: $15,500 salary plus housing on site.
Start Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 End Date: Friday, December 18, 2020
• Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and occasional Mondays and evenings
• Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., plus several evenings or overnights during camp (June 22-August 28)
• Work days may shift based on program load.
• Work collaboratively with Education Staff to design and teach a wide variety of hands-on, outdoor programs:
• Public programs for all ages, including weekly preschool classes
• School programs that are inquiry-based, some which address the Next Generation Science Standards
• Scout badge workshops and children’s birthday parties
• Special events and festivals
• Work at Watershed Nature Camp as a Counselor or Group Leader
• Assist with care of a small collection of education animals (reptiles, amphibians, insects, and fish)
• Create a personal portfolio documenting the internship
• Complete a final intern project
• Perform administrative tasks such as registering visitors for programs and operating the gift shop sales station
• Other duties as requested to maintain departmental and organizational continuity
• Minimum age of 21
• Adult and Pediatric First Aid, CPR, and AED required by January 29, 2019
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time; ability to lift 25 lbs.
• Ability and enthusiasm for working outdoors in all weather conditions
• Degree or college coursework in ecology, education, environmental studies, or related field
• Passion for teaching and sharing nature with others
• Strong experience working with children in an outdoor setting
• Excellent communication skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
• Friendly, personable, service-oriented attitude
• Patience, flexibility, and punctuality
• Eagerness to learn and work hard
• Skilled in collaboration, cooperation, and communication with co-workers
• Knowledge of local ecology and natural history is beneficial
• Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle is highly desirable
• Bi-weekly pay by direct deposit
• Housing on-site, including wi-fi, heat, electricity, and water
• Ten vacation days, to be scheduled based on program load.
• Invaluable experience working at an environmental not-for-profit
Posting will remain active until both positions are filled. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please use the subject line: Internship Application Your last name.
To apply, submit a cover letter including a brief statement on what contribution you will make to strengthen our diverse working, learning and living environment; your resume; and list of references to the attention of:
Pat Heaney, Senior Educator
The Watershed Institute
31 Titus Mill Road
Pennington, NJ 08534
609-737-3735 ext 11
Under the supervision of the Volunteer Coordinator and the Deputy Director, the Weekend Customer Service/Building Supervisor is responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the Watershed Center facility and surrounding campus handling customer service transactions and inquiries, assisting with welcome desk responsibilities, opening and closing the Center and handling any building management and campus visitor issues that arise.
This is a PT weekend position from 10 – 4 on Saturday and Sunday. There may be additional hours for special events conducted on the weekends as well. Additional training on the building systems and campus logistics will be required prior to appointment.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
• Supervision of visitor spaces within the Watershed Center.
• Greet members in a friendly and professional manner, answer telephone, and assist front desk volunteers.
• Respond to all inquiries, concerns, complaints and conflicts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Oversee the sales of all gift shop purchases.
• Assist with administration and scheduling of front desk volunteers.
• Assist with administration of building supply orders.
• Responsible for room set up and breakdown for special events and programs inside the Watershed Center.
• Assist in the coordination of all weekend or campus events.
• Excellent organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
• Excellent people skills. Customer service is a priority and Customer Service experience preferred.
• Dependable, self-motivated and a team player.
• Strong computer/keyboard/typing skills required.
• Proficient in use of the internet, Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Ability to perform physical labor and must be able to lift up to 40lbs.
• Must have a valid drivers’ license.
• Must be over 18 yrs.
Watershed staff members are required to wear a provided shirt and have a neat and professional appearance at all times. Pay rate $12 per hour.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest or resume to [email protected]