Donate

Fun with water!

May 1st, 2020

Water is one of the most important things on Earth. We humans use it for cooking, drink, swimming and other fun activities. Animals also use and need water for survival too, whether it is for staying hydrated or to live in water.

On our planet we have two main types of water, freshwater and saltwater. Here we will discuss how much water our planet has, where the salt comes from in our oceans, and fun family activities to do at home using salt and water. 

To provide some information on how much water we have on Earth, here is some interesting information you might not have known.

Earth has about 70% of the water covering its surface. The water on Earth is split into two main groups mentioned before freshwater and saltwater. What is amazing is that 96.5% of Earth’s water is salt water particularly in the oceans. The other 3.5% of Earth’s water is freshwater.

Earth’s freshwater can be found in different sizes and locations. For instance you can find freshwater at ponds, vernal pools, lakes, rivers even underground ( also known as groundwater). Other places you can find freshwater are ice glaciers and in the atmosphere. However, the amount of water that is drinkable is only about 1% available on our planet. The other 2.5% of freshwater is either not available to drink such as ice glaciers, polluted water, or in our atmosphere. How crazy is that?! As we can see here there is not a lot of drinkable water on our planet, so we must try to conserve and treat with proper care the water on our planet. 

For now, we are going to talk about saltwater. Particularly where the salt comes from in the ocean and buoyancy in saltwater. In the pdf link, there will be information provided to you about those two topics as well as fun saltwater activities you can do as a family. 

Water Experiments

Copyright © 2020 The Watershed Institute. All rights reserved.

Site by Scout Digital